Chalkbeat: Dear Governor: Here’s what Colorado educators want Jarod Polis to know about their schools, December 2018
In early October 2018, CSFP asked Superintendents, CFOs/Budget Managers and BOCES Directors what they are experiencing in teacher recruitment / retention issues. We received responses from over 70 districts/BOCES across the state. Following are some of their responses:
- North Central School Districts
- Northeast and Southeast School Districts
- Northwest School Districts
- Metro and Pikes Peak School Districts
- Southwest School Districts
- West Central School Districts
CDE, Department of Higher Education (as a result of HB17-1003, Concerning a Strategic Plan to Address Teacher Shortages in Colorado)
- Teacher Shortages Across the Nation and Colorado, Similar issues, Varying magnitudes – December 2017, CDE Department of Higher Education.
- CDHE and CDE: Educator Shortage Strategic Plan – December 2017.
CDE – Educator Shortage Strategic Action Plan – November 2017 presentation to State Board of Education
Colorado’s Rural Teachers Are Getting Pinched in the Teacher Salary Game – article by Jenny Brundin, Colorado Public Radio.
CDHE Educator Shortage Action Plan – information
Estimated average teacher salary – Colorado compared to the U.S. Average – constant 2015-16 dollars.
- Colorado Department of Higher Education: 2016 Legislative Report: Educator Preparation Report AY2015-16
- Colorado Education Preparation At A Glance – Fact Sheet
The Learning Policy Institute (LPI) released their report A Coming Crisis in Teaching? Teacher Supply, Demand and Shortages in the U.S. Following is information from the report that is pertinent to Colorado:
- Colorado: Understanding Teacher Shortages – Map and overview highlighting key factors that reflect and influence teacher supply and demand.
- State indicators influencing Supply and Demand by State (Appendix B)
- Distribution of Uncertified and Inexperienced Teachers by State (Appendix C)
Links to the Learning Policy Institute:
- About the Learning Policy Institute
- The full report: A Coming Crisis in Teaching? Teacher Supply, Demand and Shortages in the U.S.
- Understanding Teacher Shortages, a state by state analysis of factors influencing teacher supply, demand and equity: Interactive Map
2016 Educator Preparation Report AY2014-2015 – Colorado Department of Higher Education