The Colorado Legislature has discussed school district consolidation / deconsolidation many times. Following is a two-page overview and a historical timeline of Colorado’s legislation and district actions on district consolidation / deconsolidation.
- Overview of Consolidation of District Services – a brief summary
- History of Colorado School District Consolidation & Deconsolidation from 1886 – 2017 (chart timeline)
Video of the Rural Education Challenge panel discussion and forum May 31, 2012: unique challenges facing rural Colorado school districts with a panel of rural educators.
- 3-minute highlights
- 33-minute discussion: end of the video features a community member speaking about community and business support
- CSFP 2012-13 Trends of District Reported Budget Cuts – forum handout.
Exploration of School District Consolidation of Services by the CSFP and Augenblick, Palaich & Associates (APA).
- APA report: An Exploration of District Consolidation: Status and Research. June 2009
- School District Organization Highlights – helpful to read with the power point below
- School District Organization: Status and Research (APA), powerpoint presentation and Table 3 referenced in the power point, included in the research report.
- Colorado’s Enrollment Trends 2004-2008 (Did You Know?)
- Colorado County & District Data Snapshot
- Student Count Change (CDE 2004-2008) by County and School District
- Student Count, Districts in County, square miles, people per square mile: Counties in CDE Regional Service Areas (RSA) Summary
- Student Count, Districts in County, square miles, people per square mile: Colorado Association of School Boards (CASB) Region
CDE – Manual of Procedures for School Organization Act of 1992 (HB92-1003 – School District Organizationand HB96-1012 – simplifying the organization planning process for HB92-1003)
CDE report – Colorado School District Organization October 2002 – History of Colorado school district organization and the 2002 picture.
HB96-1012 – Legislative Legal Services Digest of Bills for HB96-1012 (pg 50-52) simplifying the organization planning process for HB92-1003
HB92-1003 – School District Organization – Concerning Changes Relating to the Organization of School Districts – C.R.S. 22-30. See CDE’s Manual of Procedure for School Organization Act of 1992 (October 2003)
CDE study – Study of School District Administration and Staffing – Report to General Assembly re: study of school district administration and staffing patterns for the purpose of determining where savings of state and local funds may be realized. Section IV – Case Study of School District Reorganization and Shared Services