The Principles of School Finance: What is a School Finance System? For more information on School Finance click on the School Finance tab on the left side of this page. Introductory pages within School Finance tab:
- School Finance 101 contains overview information on school finance;
- Briefing Documents is a series of one and two-page documents with short descriptions on a variety of school finance related topics
- School Finance 201 (created in August 2015) contains information about potential budget impacts to K-12 funding and budgets. The information in School Finance 201 was created to help districts and state education leaders prepare for what may happen with school finance and how it could impact Colorado’s school districts.
CSFP presentation at CASE Conference February 2016: Nuts & Bolts
Colorado STEM Network Web Meeting - January 2016 CSFP powerpoint
Quality Counts 2016 (2012-13 School Year, FY13) - Per Pupil Spending by State: Colorado ranks 42 of 51 in per pupil spending; spending $2,681 less than the U.S. Average of $11,667.
CSFP Presentations at 2015 CASB Convention:
Colorado Did You Know? School Finance video: link
- New Board Member Training:
- Planning School Budgets for the Future: All the Moving Parts Powerpoint (PDF)
CSFP November Advisory Committee meeting presentations:
- Governor's Office of State Policy and Budget (OSPB): Colorado State Budget Request FY2016-17
- Colorado State University, Colorado Future's Center: Measuring the Impact of Tax and Expenditure Limits on Public School Property Taxes - TABOR and School Finance
CSFP Presentation to Colorado Education Initiative (CEI) Colorado STEM Network (CSN) October Conference Call.
Western Slope Superintendents Meeting: The Conundrum of School Finance (pdf) - CSFP Presentation
2015 State Profile Data: Our annual profile information depicts changes in K-12 funding and counts (comparing the base year of 1992-93 to 2008-09 to 2012-13 to 2013-14). Data is audited data from CDE, so lags behind current information.
- CSFP Profile Data: 2015 Highlights: 2 page overview of state profile data highlighting areas of concern for K-12.
- CSFP 2015 State Profile Data: About the 4 tables and Notes
- Table 1: Enrollment, Special Education, Free and Reduced Lunch, English language learners (ELL), Instances of Mobility, and Gifted Students
- Table 2: Number of Teachers, Teachers per 1,000 students, Average Salary (comparing CO and National)
- Table 3: Per Student Current Spending and Revenues
- Table 4: Relationship between State/Local Revenue for K-12 Public Education and Personal Income
- Notes and Terms: Footnotes for all tables are located on this page.
CSFP presentation at CASBO October 2015
The Conundrum of School Finance - CASBO 2015 (PDF of powerpoint)
CSFP: Percent Change in Per Pupil Spending from 2008-2013, adjusted for inflation, chart. Data source: US Census Bureau. Chart:
Presentations from October Advisory Committee
- Building a Better Colorado - Reeves Brown, Project Coordinator
- CSFP: Percent Change in Per Pupil Spending from 2008-2013, adjusted for inflation, chart. Data source: US Census Bureau
CSFP Presentation to Colorado Education Initiative (CEI) Colorado STEM Network (CSN) September Conference Call.
Superintendents Conference: CSFP Scenarios presented at the Superintendents Conference. NOTE: CSFP will update our scenario information soon after the State Forecast on September 21, 2015.
- Components for State Level Modeling School Funding
- CSFP Scenarios:
- Impact of Increasing Negative Factor - chart
DRAFT District Bond, BEST, Mill Levy Override and Technology Mill Levy Override for 2015 - As in past years the CSFP collected district election information for 2015. Updated 9/25/2015 at 10:30 AM.
Educating Colorado Project (ECP)
District Budget Cut Conversations and Four Years of the Negative Factor
As in prior years, the CSFP collected budget cut conversations from school districts and the media: 2015-16 School District Budget Conversations. We also added the 2014-15 Negative Factor data to our Negative Factor by County/District 2011-12 thru 2014-15 Summary (Data Source: CDE). The last column indicates the revenue lost to districts over the 4 year period. This information and prior year's information is posted on our District Budget Cuts page.
DRAFT of 2015 possible district elections (Bond, BEST, Mill Levy Override) as of August 10, 2015. We will update at the end of August/beginning for September.
- Making Sense of the School Finance Landscape Powerpoint (PDF)
- Making Sense of the School Finance Landscape booklet - July 30 updated version (PDF)
- School District Cost Structure
Note: Typically our Home page contains information from the last 6 months. We try to "roll off" information every month to our Historical Info page. The information is in chronological order, most recent first.